How to setup a linux dedicated server from scratch
A Linux dedicated server has various features that can increase your company or your business’ productivity. It has a cpanel with WHM control panel and a secure server with IP firewall. A 64-bit with full root access is a desirable feature for this dedicated server. It also boasts of a full access to server logs.
When you are ready to setp up, you can install the Linux operating system first. You can install an OpenSSH server so that you can manage and operate using remote computers. Since the installation process will take a long time, you have to allot a specific period where you can setup freely without any sort of interruption. It is a complicated process but one that can be considered rewarding because you can be able to host your own site if it works out well.
If you want to setup this server from scratch, you have to follow the steps below.
- Download the Linux server first on your computer. Make sure that you found the latest version and you are aware of its many features. Choose the language that you want your server to have.
- You have to log in to your server with SSH. This process is much easier with Linux because you have ample support just in case you are clueless about the next step.
- Install SteamCMD and let it update. You can create a script to install the folder to hold the server files.
- The next step would be to download the dedicated server with SteamCMD. You should choose the latest version of the server. You can go to the directory and start a screen session to start the server.
- You can edit the startup script on startserver.sh
- After that edit serverconfig.xml file
- When you’re ready you should begin running the server. The server would bootup but pay attention to the warning messages. You don’t have to worry because they are not errors. They are just some of the things that you should pay attention to in this part of the installation.
- While it is functioning you have to observe output_log.txt. Pay attention to the server’s functionality. Think of this process as a test run to find out if everything is working to its optimum potential.
- After monitoring the operation, you can edit the serveradmin.xml
- You can create a firewall to ensure the security of the operations. It will protect your server from unnecessary infiltration.
- One of the most important thing that you should do after you have completed the process is backup. Create a backup of the server
Installing the Linux dedicated server is not rocket science but it is good to pay attention to the details before you begin the process. If you are doing it from scratch then all the more reason to research on the procedures before plunging in. You do not want to deal with a faulty server in the long run. A dedicated server is a good choice if you want to a sophisticated system with less user interaction.
Comments are closed.