Dedicated Server Setup Checklist: New server for web and database hosting
In setting up a dedicated server, you have to pay attention to the correct steps so that you can install a new server and database hosting properly. This is an upgrade for you if you have done shared hosting in the past. You can setup this type of server by ensuring that the factors below are taken care of.
- Don’t allow root logging because you might damage or delete necessary files in your system. You cannot allow that to happen early on in the process.
- Think of a unique log in first. This will be used in all your future operations so make sure that you will stick to it for the long haul. In addition, you have to create a strong password to ensure privacy and security.
- You can connect now using your second user account to continue with the installation process. It is possible now to edit the SSH file using the single user account existing on your system.
- The next crucial step to follow would be to disable telnet. Enabling telnet gives you more access to your system. You do have that flexibility with this features but so do others. If you don’t want insecure access to your own system then it is best to disable this feature. All you have to do is to find the prompt that lets you choose from the command DISABLE and ENABLE.
- You have the option to install a Brute Force Protection or BFP on your system. This permits the process of scanning your logs especially to detect a high amount of failed log ins. This strengthens your systems protection from forceful entry. There are so many ways to attempt a breach in your security and one of the best ways to combat that is through this feature.
- Installing a firewall would be an advantage for your system in more ways than one. An advanced policy firewall is your best bet for a Linux dedicated server. You can just download it through the server and extract the file for the installation process to proceed. This feature can be updated to increase security so that your server will be protected.
- After those initial steps, you have to optimize servers by updating and installing the required software.
- Once you are done with that, you can create and install your website. Utilizing a source tool such as git, ftp or other more modern tools, you may now upload the codes. Your source tool will depend on the type of website that you would like to install.
- The time has come for your to enable your web application. Configure your files to connect to the database. You also have to send login credentials to the members that you have given primary access.
- You have to monitor the server operation if it is running smoothly and fix whatever features fail to load or run.
Once you have completed the above steps, you can setup your DNS settings. You are recommended to make sure that your server is completely optimized before you do any upgrades to it such as changing settings, setup name servers.
Comments are closed.